the painted surface
Questions to Ask When Hiring a Paint Contractor
These are some general questions and concerns you might want to address when hiring a contractor. When everyone knows what is expected the job will progress more smoothly and successfully.
- How long have you been a full-time painting contractor?
- Where did you learn to paint and about the painting profession?
- What brand of paint do you recommend?
- Will you be using a contractor grade of paint or better?
- Do you have all the necessary equipment to complete the job?
- Are you licensed, bonded and insured?
- Do you require an up-front deposit before the work begins?
- How would you like to paid?
- Will you want weekly payment draws if the job will take several weeks?
- Will you commit to work on the project everyday weather permitting?
- What are your normal working days and hours?
- Will you be doing the work, supervise the work or sub-contract the work to someone else?
- Who will be helping you?
- What is the experience level of your helpers and employees?
- Do you have current and local references?
- What is the time frame for finishing the job? How many days can I expect the job to take until completion?
- What is your plan of action to finish the work?
- Who will move the furnishings and when the work is finished move them back into place?
- What are your clean-up plans?
- Do you want me to remove posters, paintings, shelves and other wall decorations or will you remove them?
- Does your estimate include the cost of materials such as paint, roller covers, brushes and any equipment you may have to rent or purchase to complete the work?
- How will you protect my furniture, floors and furnishings while you are working?
- If you accidentally damage anything in my home will you pay for its repair?
- Will you work in a safe and careful way to prevent injury and accidents?
- If you encounter unforseen problems where you are painting will you point them out to me?
- If I ask you do to something not in the initial agreement how will I be charged and how much?
- Will I be given a written cost estimate and/or contract?
Preparing for the Contractor
- Prepare for the interruption of your daily routines when the job will take several days or weeks.
- If not present during work provide contact information.
- Decide how pets should be dealt with during the coming and going of the workers.
- Know your colors and the type of paint you want to use. Decide on the paint brand, grade and sheen.
- Custom color matching should be done before work starts in case adjustments are necessary.
- Decide what needs to be painted, do not leave the contractor guessing at what needs to be done.
- Write down and give to the contractor the details of the job such as color names, paint types and what should be painted.
- Be ready to pay the balanced owed when you are satisfied the job is complete.
- A basic checklist can be printed from the page: printing checklist.
Interior Paint Jobs
- Will any light fixture, outlet box, towel rack, curtain rods or anything attached to the walls, ceiling or wood trim need to be moved or replaced?
- Decide if you want the outlet and switch plate covers painted.
- Remove valuables from the room and store them away from the work.
- Consider the room may need to be ventilated during painting.
- The temperature of the room may need to be adjusted.
- Notify the contractor if the room can be left “as is” at the end of the day or does it need to be cleaned up if the work in that room is not complete and the work will continue the next day.
Exterior Paint Jobs
- On exterior home painting jobs the bushes and trees should be trimmed back if blocking areas to be painted.
- Provide a place to temporarily store storm windows, lawn furniture and plant containers.
- Unlock windows and doors so that all surfaces can be painted.
- Check gutters and downspouts for leaks or need of repair.
- Inspect the structure for rotten wood and decide if a carpenter should be called or will the painter perform the repair.
More helpful painting tips, techniques and how-to articles can be found by following these links.
How To Paint a Room ◊ How To Paint a Stairway ◊ How To Paint a Two-Story Room ◊ How To Choose Colors ◊ Six Step Color Choice ◊ Popular Color Ideas ◊ How To Choose Paint ◊ Tools ◊ How To Caulk ◊ How To Patch a Hole ◊ How To Patch a Crack ◊ How To Cut In a Wall or Ceiling ◊ How To Roll a Wall or Ceiling ◊ How To Paint Woodwork ◊ How To Paint a Window ◊ How To Paint Baseboard ◊ How To Paint a Door ◊ How To Paint Crown Moulding ◊ How To Paint Kitchen Cabinets ◊ How To Choose a Premium Paintbrush ◊ How To Paint a MDF Bookcase ◊ How To Paint Aluminum or Vinyl Siding ◊ How To Paint Over Faux Finishes ◊ How To Use Magnetic Paint ◊ How To Use FrogTape ◊ How To Paint Repair Water Damaged Drywall ◊ Hiring a Contractor ◊ Paint Stripper Safety ◊ Painting Louvered Shutters ◊ 2013 Color Trends ◊ Choosing Front Door Colors